For the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 cups water
- 3 packets unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup canned spiced pumpkin pie mix
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup rum (I used Captain Morgan)
For the crust, either:
- 2 boxes Keebler pre-made graham cracker mini crusts (in the jello aisle)
- 2 packages ready made pie crust (4 crusts total)
- 1 recipe for homemade graham cracker crust (below)
Make the jello mixture (same directions for each flavor):
- Add the water in a small sauce pan. Sprinkle the gelatin over top and let stand for 1 minute to begin absorbing liquid. This ensures it will dissolve properly.
- Over medium high heat, add remainder of ingredients except for the rum and stir for 3-4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved completely.
- Take mixture off heat and let cool to room temperature. Add rum and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate mixture until it is the consistence of raw egg whites. This is anywhere from 25-45 minutes, so you have to set a timer and keep checking it. If you let it become set too much, it won’t be smooth in the crusts. If you don’t mind chopped up jello rather than smooth set, just refrigerate until it’s completely firm, and then mix it into small pieces with a fork.
To use store-bought graham cracker crust:
- Pre-bake crust according to package directions and let cool.
- Spoon the egg-like jello mixture into the crust and put back in the fridge to finish setting. This can take 2-4 hours.
To use store-bought pre-made pie crust:
- Bring dough to room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll on a flat surface, and using an inverted water glass or large mason jar lid (approximately 3 inches diameter), make circular shapes of the dough. Pleat the dough so it can easily fit into mini muffin tins and spread the top evenly over the edges. Prick the bottom and sides of the dough and bake according to package directions.
- Let cool completely. Spoon the jello mixture into the pie crusts and put back in the refrigerator to set completely, 2-4 hours.
To make your own graham cracker crust (highly recommended!), follow these ingredients measurements to make the mixture
- Place muffin liners in the muffin tins, and fill 3/4 of the way full of crust mixture. Pat down in the bottom and up the sides of the liners a bit. Bake at 325F for 8 minutes or until just starting to become golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Fill muffin liners to the top with jello mixture. Replace in refrigerator and let mixture set, 2-4 hours.