Recipe of the Week: Picadillo Con Papas
October 3, 2017
- 3 lbs ground turkey or ground beef
- 3 cups precooked chunky mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- extra virgin olive oil
- green onion to garnish
- cilantro and juice of a lime optional
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Add about 3 tablespoons olive oil to a pan over medium heat, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add meat and season with half the seasoning blend, break up meat with the back of a cooking spoon.
- Cook meat for about 20 minutes or until browned, drain meat if using beef.
- Add a little more oil to pan if needed and place meat back into pan.
- Add potatoes and remaining seasoning. Mix well leaving a little chunks in the potatoes.
- Add broth, bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- If using add fresh cilantro and a little lime juice when cooked before serving.
- Garnish with green onions.