As the Green Bay Packers make their way to Raymond James Stadium today, we offer a recipe from the land of Cheeseheads!
- 1 ONION, SLICED
- 1-2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 BRATWURST
- 1 PRETZEL ROLL, SLICED LENGTHWISE
- BEER MUSTARD, TO TASTE
- 1/2-3/4 CUP SHREDDED GRUYÈRE
- 1 SMALL BOILED YUKON GOLD POTATO, SLICED
- FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER, TO TASTE
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat up a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until soft and caramelized, stirring every so often, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the bratwurst. Add 1/4 – 1/2 inch of water, cover and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. When the water has evaporated, the brat should be cooked through. This is unnecessary, but if you like a bit of color on your brat, grill over medium-high, flipping, until slightly browned. Remove from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing into pieces that will fit inside your bread.
- Arrange your sandwich. Butter the outsides of the pretzel bread and lay them on a cutting board. The butter should be facing out. Add beer mustard to taste and then layer in the following order: cheese, potato slices, cheese, bratwurst slices, cheese, caramelized onions, freshly ground pepper, pretzel bread (butter facing out).
- Heat up a non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat and carefully move the sandwich to the pan. Fry until the cheese melts and the pretzel bread is golden brown and crispy, flipping once. Enjoy immediately.