- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp whole coriander seeds, crushed up a bit
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, leaves picked
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp whole fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 whole frying chicken
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- Combine all marinade ingredients together in a large ziploc bag. Add chicken to bag and seal well, giving the chicken a little toss in the sauce. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours, giving the bag a rotate once or twice to make sure the chicken is evenly marinated.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade bag and dust off as much of the whole spices as possible. Strain leftover marinade into a small saucepan (removing all whole spices), add butter. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Using some kitchen twine, truss the chicken’s legs if they aren’t already tied. Place chicken on a rack in a large roasting tray or dutch oven, breast side up and baste with marinade/butter mixture.*
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350 and cook for an additional 45-60 minutes (depending on the size of your bird), basting every 15 minutes or so.